The Northern Rockies Regional Airport (NRRA) was established in 1941 as part of the USAAF Northwest Staging Route, and was used for ferrying and refueling approximately 8000 aircrafts on route towards Russia during WWII. After the war, the USAAF transferred the operations of the NRRA to the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1947. Shortly after, RCAF transferred ownership of the airport to Transport Canada, who conducted its operation until the National Air Policy (NAP) came into effect.
Since then, Fort Nelson (later the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality) has taken on sole ownership of the airport and its direction. Today, the NRRA operates with sixteen tenants ranging from fixed and rotary aircraft operations to scheduled and charter passenger services. Furthermore, the BC Forest Service Wildlife Management Branch maintains a seasonal fire center operation at the airport.
For more information, please visit: